This savory hash brown breakfast casserole can be prepped the night before for easy cooking in the morning. Delicious and healthy, this casserole is perfect for holiday mornings.
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. When it’s breakfast on a holiday, it’s even better! I know Christmas dinner gets all the attention, but I think that first meal of the day deserves some love, too.
When I was a kid, I always remember having cinnamon rolls on Christmas. My parents would make my sister and I sit at the top of the stairs, anxiously waiting, while they went down and got Christmas “ready” for us. They’d turn on all the tree lights and get breakfast started before we were allowed to come down. I remember it being the most magical, yet agonizing wait, sitting at the top of those stairs, wondering what we’d find when we got down to the living room.
Now, my preferred holiday breakfast tends to be more savory than sweet. I love a good breakfast casserole, especially one that can be prepped the night before. Assembling and cooking the casserole is ridiculously easy and the ingredient list is pretty straightforward.
You just grab a casserole dish, line it with the hash browns, then top it with browned turkey sausage, sauteed veggies, an egg mixture, and cheese.
Cover that bad boy with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
The next day, all you have to do is put on some coffee, pop the casserole in the oven, and you’re set! Or, if your kids are waiting at the top of the stairs, I guess you could do a few more things, just to keep the suspense going a little longer.
- 1 lb. lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 20 oz. refrigerated shredded hash browns (or frozen hash browns, thawed)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeds removed
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp parsley
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Line a 9x13 inch casserole dish with the shredded hash browns
- Cook the turkey sausage, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain if necessary, then pour sausage over hash browns
- Saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms in the butter over medium heat. Add the spinach near the end, then pour the veggie mixture over the hash browns and meat
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, parsley, mozzarella cheese, and salt/pepper. Pour mixture over the casserole, making sure to evenly distribute everything
- Top with cheddar cheese
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
- The next day, cook casserole uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until eggs are set and cheese is brown on top
- *If the cheddar cheese is cooking too quickly, you may want to cover the casserole with foil for the first part
Looking for other breakfast casserole recipes? Check out these other favorites:
What’s your favorite holiday morning breakfast?
Do you have any fun Christmas morning traditions?