Is it Friday yet? It is?! I made it?!?! Yesssss! This week has been crazy in terms of my work load at the office. I’m just totally drained by the time I get home (reason #827 for working out first thing!) and the LAST thing I want is to be cooking for 45 minutes.
Yesterday was both busy and productive. For the first time all week, however, I was able to actually get out of the office to take a lunch break! A co-worker and I went to the local farmer’s market, where I picked up some ginormous peaches, some bananas, and some fig jam. I honestly have no idea why I purchased fig jam, but it seemed like a really good idea. What can I say? I’m a sucker for good packaging. Any ideas on what to actually DO with fig jam are welcome.
After picking up some goodies, we stopped by Panera for lunch. I got the Strawberry Poppyseed Chicken Salad and the Turkey Avocado BLT. Perfect lunch!
After another crazy afternoon of interviews and meetings, I got home and immediately threw on some comfy yoga pants and poured myself a glass of white wine. I had some chicken breast tenderloins I needed to use and I was determined to keep prep time down. I quickly threw together dinner while catching up with my mom on the phone.
Dinner turned out to be soooo good! Riley was at a friend’s house last night so he missed out on this dinner. Too bad for you today, Riley, cause I’m keeping the leftovers for myself!
Mediterranean Quinoa Chicken
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3-4 large handfuls fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 4-5 chicken breast tenderloins
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 package garlic & olive oil 90-second quinoa (I found mine at Target)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
1) Pre-heat oven to 375. Pat chicken with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 23-25 minutes.
2) While chicken is baking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes. Add the tomato and spinach. Add the seasonings to taste.
3) After removing the chicken, allow to cool for a minute before cutting into bit-size chunks. Add to the pan.
4) Cook the quinoa in the microwave for 90 seconds and add to the pan.
5) Divide mixture into two bowls. Top with feta cheese and a generous squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!
Seriously, so easy! I love this dinner for several reasons. First, it’s good for you. Second, it took 25 minutes from start to finish. Third, I only had to clean one pan. This is the perfect meal when you’re tired from a day at work and want a great meal without a ton of effort. I tend to over-use ingredients like baked chicken, spinach, and feta cheese, but honestly they just never get old to me! The 90-second quinoa was a fantastic find that I’ll definitely be buying again. Typically, the “quick & easy” versions have a lot of added ingredients and high sodium. This one just had quinoa, olive oil, garlic, and spices so it was perfect!
This morning’s workout consisted of 35 minutes on the Adaptive Motion Trainer, followed by my Burnin’ Abs workout from last week. After 4 days of getting up at 4:30, I can’t really say I was motivated to push myself super hard today, but I got the day started off right at least. When I got home, I really wanted some peanut butter so breakfast was peanut butter toast with banana slices on top. A oldie, but goodie!
In sadder news today, I found out that Riley is going to the Washington Redskins training camp today in Richmond. Without me. 🙁 Not that I could go anyway, but still. Husband- if you read this, you’d better get RGIII to sign my jersey!!
On that note, I’m off to work.I hope you all have a great Friday!
What are you looking forward to this weekend? I’m hoping to go out tonight with Riley for a date night!
What ingredients do you always find yourself gravitating to?
What do you do with fig jam?