Hey everyone, I’m back! It felt really good to unplug for a while and enjoy the holidays, but I missed you! I had a great time relaxing and enjoying my time off. I had a long list of things I wanted to accomplish during the holidays and most of it didn’t get done-whoops! I thought I’d give a quick recap of my time off with a couple lists.
Things I didn’t do:
- Work out every day. I worked out a good amount, but I also allowed myself to just veg out and sleep in if I wanted to.
- Try any of the Pinterest recipes I wanted to make. Not a single one got made. I did eat raw cookie dough out of the package while standing in front of the fridge, however.
- Organize the closet, pantry, kitchen cabinets, etc. Every time I said I was going to do it, Netflix said, “but I’m right here!” And Netflix always wins.
- Run. I only ran twice in the last two weeks, but I didn’t really mind all that much!
- Worry over food. I indulged in our yearly New Year’s Day Papa John’s and didn’t feel the least bit bad.
- Go out for New Year’s Eve. We’ve gone out for the past few years, but decided to stay in this year. We set up a bunch of finger foods to munch on, drank a lot of champagne, and rang in the new year from our hot tub. At first, I worried it would be boring compared to the past few years, but it ended up being really fun (and a lot cheaper!).
Things I did:
- Took a lot of hot yoga and Barre. My 1-month trial at Studio South ended yesterday, so I packed in as many classes as I could. It felt so great to stretch out my muscles and enjoy some lower-impact workouts.
- Got completely addicted to watching Gossip Girl on Netflix. How did I never watch that show before? It’s terrible and wonderful all at the same time. My new addiction resulted in many afternoons that looked like this:
- Walked Bella almost every day. Poor Bella doesn’t always get the attention she should when we’re busy, but I had the time to walk her for 30-60 minutes a day, so I did. She LOVED exploring the neighborhood with me every day and I need to find a way to walk her more once I go back to work.
- Slept in, relaxed by the fire, read magazines, and played with my pets. Bella has become obsessed with how many toys she has and can never just play with one. I’ll put them all away, but then she goes and gets them one-by-one and lines them all up in the middle of the room. It’s adorable.
- I set some good goals for myself for the new year, which I’ll talk about tomorrow. I’m not really big on resolutions, but I think a new year is a great time to re-evaluate and come up with positive changes you can make moving forward.
- Spent a lot of time with Riley. We went to the movies (Anchorman 2 = Terrible. The Hobbit in 3D = Visually amazing!), ate out a few times, and hung out at home.
- Created a Workouts page on the blog. I’d been meaning to do this for a while, but now you can see all my favorite workouts in one spot!
All in all, I had a great break! As usual, I didn’t accomplish half of what was on my to-do list, but now I’m thinking it was meant to happen that way. I feel rested and ready to get back into the swing of things. I’m also ready to get back to some cleaner eating and a more structured workout schedule. Speaking of which, let’s talk about how I started my morning!
Workout & Breakfast
Today’s wake-up call hurt a bit since I’ve been sleeping in for two weeks. When the alarm went off at 4:30, I hit snooze before finally dragging myself out of bed.
Once at the gym, I hopped on the adaptive motion trainer for 35 minutes of intervals from level 5-20. I planned on running, but then realized I wanted to watch an episode of Gossip Girl on my phone while doing my cardio (I told you, I have a problem). My cardio session was followed by 10 minutes of ab work with a medicine ball, then some stretching.
Breakfast today was a Greek yogurt bowl. I threw in vanilla Greek yogurt, banana slices, blueberry meusli (Trader Joe’s), and some chia seeds. I poured myself a glass of unsweetened vanilla almond milk on the side. Delicious!
I’m off to start my work week, but I can’t wait to catch up later. Have a great day!
What did you do for New Year’s?
Name one highlight of your holiday celebrations