How is it Monday already? I don’t know about you, but this weekend went waaay too fast for me! Here are some of the highlights from my weekend.
Saturday morning I slept in until about 7:30, which felt fabulous! After running to the grocery store, I put some coffee on and made one of my favorite weekend meals: breakfast casserole!
I healthified the casserole by using lean turkey sausage and subbing in half the eggs for egg whites.
The casserole turned out great and it was also a great way to use some of the veggies from our garden. I incorporated some tomatoes, banana peppers, and jalapenos from our little veggie stash. Super tasty!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb lean turkey sausage
- 1 container reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 dollop (not a real measurement, I know, but I just eyeballed it!) light sour cream
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 banana pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2-4 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
1) Preheat oven to 375 and spray a casserole dish with cooking spray (9×13 would work). Line the casserole dish with crescent roll dough, pinching seams to close.
2) Brown the turkey meat and drain. Wipe down the pan and throw in the veggies until soft, adding the spinach at the very end.
3) Whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and a splash of almond milk (optional). Season with salt and pepper. I also add a dash of paprika, but that’s optional.
4) Layer the turkey and veggies on top of the crescent dough. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Top with cheese and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until eggs are set.
Riley loves it when I make breakfast casserole, so it doesn’t usually last long around here. Looks like this one was another hit!
The rest of my Saturday morning was spent lounging on the deck with Coco and reading some magazines.
I also caught up with a friend for some froyo and a movie.
Saturday night was spent at home making homemade pizza and drinking some wine with Riley
Sunday morning I woke up at 6 AM to some exciting text messages. My good friend Molly gave birth to a baby girl and I was thrilled to hear the news! I couldn’t be happier for her and her husband and I can’t wait to meet baby Lilly!
It was basically impossible to go back to sleep after getting the good news, so I decided to go to Colonial Williamsburg for a run. I enjoyed my run there last week so much I decided maybe I should make this a weekly thing. I got there right before 8:00 and it was blissfully empty except for the other runners.
I got about 20 minutes in when it started raining. Not pouring rain, but misting, hazy rain. Surprisingly, it was one of the best runs I’ve had all summer. I haven’t really run outside much these past couple months due to the heat. The light rain made my run really enjoyable, however, which I was NOT expecting. I’m usually a major pansy about weather!
Source. Borrowed pic since I didn’t stop to take any.
Something about the hazy rain, the empty colonial streets, and just exploring the little back roads by myself make it so peaceful and beautiful in the morning and I’d finished 5 miles in no time!
The rest of the day was spent lounging with my needy cat, making some homemade chicken salad, and hanging out with Riley.
I’ve got a 6 day work week starting today, so I’m on a mission to get lots of sleep, eat plenty of snacks, and keep up a good workout routine despite the upcoming stress.
Have a great Monday!
What did you do this weekend?
Do you like running in the rain? A week ago, my answer would have been “hell no!”, but after yesterday, I can definitely understand why people like it!